Since the news broke just a few hours ago, Bond fan sites, news websites, blogs and the social networks have been alive with rumours about the potential new James Bond director, Sam Mendes.

We are still cautiously waiting for official word from EON Productions or MGM as to the accuracy of what has largely been re-broadcast accross the internet as “official” news.

Two new sources of interest have emerged on net in very recent times.

The first is a report from British Bond site mi6-hq.com who claim MGM have denied reports, including quotes carried by the major movie-news sites and papers that James Bond 23 Pre-Production is stalled. However, according to MI6′s source, the representitives of the big cat declined to comment over the Sam Mendes hiring saga. This news from MGM seems to contradict quotes from Producer Michael G. Wilson as printed by Total Film. So, MGM says production is not stalled, but Mr. Wilson says it is – from what Bond23.net can gather!

More lucrative on the rumor-quashing front is an exclusive story from Deadline.com who have learned that “Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson are in final negotiations with CAA for director Sam Mendes to come on as a consultant to the 23rd James Bond film”. Deadline Hollywood constitutes a consistent and reliable source who seem to know who to talk to and what to print when. Our money is on Deadline being dead right! They also have sources that explain why Mendes was not hired outright – citing a ‘deposit’ being owed from MGM to the director in question whenever one is formally hired by EON. With MGM’s current financial position in limbo, it seems more logical that this roundabout way of hiring Mendes was taken.

Additionally, the logical next step, of Mendes coming onboard as director seems contrary to the train of thought so far when we read this bite from Deadline’s insider: “Barbara thinks he’s smart, which he is. But you don’t need such a fancy director. You need someone who can do an action movie.”

BUT… When has a top-grade director been hired by EON as a consultant and not asked to direct the film? Even Paul Haggis was (rumored to have been) asked.

As you were until the next bout of fog hits Bond fandom.

Further Reading


About James Bond 24 (2015)

James Bond 24 will be released in October 2015. It is produced by EON Productions, with Sam Mendes returning from Skyfall to direct. Daniel Craig is contracted for two further 007 films — Bond 24 and 25 — and will star as the British agent of MI6. Also returning from Skyfall are Ralph Fiennes as M and Naomie Harris as Eve Moneypenny. Although it is unconfirmed, many expect Rory Kinnear to reprise his role as M’s chief of staff. Roger Deakins, cinematographer, and Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, screenwriters, will not return. The screenplay is being penned by John Logan.

About Skyfall – James Bond 23 (2012)

The new Bond movie will star Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem, Ralph Fiennes, Naomie Harris, Berenice Marlohe, Albert Finney and Judi Dench, produced by Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli. The 007 screenplay will be written by regular James Bond scribes Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, working with John Logan (Gladiator & The Last Samurai). Director of American Beauty and Road To Perdition, Sam Mendes will be directing the new James Bond movie. MGM and Sony Pictures Entertainment in a joint statement on 2nd June 2011 announced that “Bond 23″ will go on release in the UK on Friday, 26th October, 2012 and in the USA on 9th November 2012. The first major announcement from EON Productions and Sony Pictures came on 3rd November 2011 in London when the principle cast was announced, along with a rough plot line. In Skyfall, Bond’s loyalty to M is tested as her past comes back to haunt her. As MI6 comes under attack, 007 must track down and destroy the threat, no matter how personal the cost.